Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The topic no one wants to talk about...

That's right, our periods. The reoccurring monthly drama that goes on inside our bodies...then of course, outside too! It is the most natural thing to happen to a woman. Unfortunately it has also brought some stigma attached to it. Don't get me wrong, I am an avid feminist. I will quickly put any man in his place for assuming that when I'm in a bad mood, I must be "on the rag." With this thinking, I have also down-played my moods as always valid and nothing to do with my period. But sadly, for the last few months now, I have been tracking my moods along with my cycle. It is with great regret that I acknowledge that my pms has gotten the better of me. It starts 5 days before my period. I have no tolerance for stupidity or nonsense. I have no problem reminding everyone in my family about it either. I will put you in place and walk away without a second thought. Two days later I start to get bloated and crampy. I usually have symptoms of anxiety and depression also. This is when I think to myself (like I forget every month) "Oh maybe I got my period." Not yet. The day the big flow happens, I feel such a sense of relief and weight off my shoulders, I love my family all over again! This quick mood change is very tiring, so this first day - along with the heavy flow, I usually fall asleep early because my body just wants to quit. Days 2-5 are generally light and my mood has changed back to normal. Unfortunately, I also get a sense of guilt for screaming my head off so much. I chalk it up to my family's lack of support and move on!
As much as I hate to admit it, I suffer from pms. It does change the way I look and feel and how I treat others. I am still a strong woman, but Mother Nature has gotten the best of me! I will now show my strength by watching my cycle more closely and taking a proactive approach. I have been encouraged by other women to drink milk 5 days before my period. I will also start taking vitamins daily.
I vow to still retain my feminism but I think I am more empowered by sharing my experiences and tackling my obstacles.

No comments:

Post a Comment