Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Being in a biracial relationship....

My parents are of different races and so I am biracial. I married a white man who has always been oblivious to race. Our two children are beautiful mixtures of us both but one looks more white and the other looks mixed like me. When I was young and madly in love, I didn't think about what the future would hold for us - racially speaking. I don't regret marrying and having children with my husband but words that my mother would say are now coming back to haunt me all these years later. Some history; my black mother and my white father are great parents. While my dad was colorblind (figuratively speaking), my mom would always make comments that were race related. "Do they know you're part black not spanish?" As if they didn't and then wouldn't accept me. She would tell me that if I grew up to marry a white man, then I would be washing the "black" out of our family. She would say things about white people being nice to your face but not treating you as an equal - based on some really horrific experiences she had had during her childhood. As she would make these comments, I would question in my mind, then why did you marry my white father? I kept these thoughts and feelings to myself for years. Now as an adult that married a white man (who is also colorblind) I am starting to hear the truths behind her words. How on earth can this wonderful man teach our children the precautions they need to take being persons of color? Unfortunately even in 2013, there are still racial inequalities that cannot be ignored. As much as I love him and know he loves and would protect our family with his life, I can't help but wonder how much he can understand our differences if he hasn't walked a day in our shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment